A few months ago, we decided that Mr N would apply for a job 100 miles north, in Lincolnshire. We visited the county and fell in love with it! It offered everything we wanted for the children and our family, so when the opportunity arose to move there, we grabbed at it with both hands. Several months later, we were in the middle of moving – and oh what hell it is! Even though I have moved a good few times, somehow, with the kids and the cats, this time was just a nightmare. So, after making a LOT of mistakes – here are my 10 tips for moving house.
- If you can afford it definitely pay for someone to pack you. We previously have packed ourselves, which although a bit stressful wasn’t too bad – but this time we had double the amount of stuff! Things were hidden away in every nook and cranny in the house, and I really think I would have abandoned the move if I had to pack it myself! The removing men arrived at 7.45am (3 of them) and were still going strong 7 hours later.
- Instead of trying to explain to the movers all the numerous bits and bobs you don’t want them to pack – put them onto the beds. We covered our beds with cat boxes and food, overnight bags, shoes, coats and essential toys and just told them to leave anything on the beds. So much easier for them and us!
- On that note – don’t forget to put shoes and coats to one side. We each thought the other had done it, only to realise neither child had a pair of shoes. Cue frantically trying to locate the box with the shoes in!
- Give the children a small backpack and get them to fill it with toys they will want to play with on packing day or the day of move in. It gives them a job to do, makes them feel part of it, and ensures that huge toys aren’t wanted or filling up the space you have for them to play in! Also, on the plus side, most of the smaller toys don’t make noises!
- Don’t try and eat anything in the house when the removers are in. It would mean plates, cups, food, mess – and it would definitely slow the process down. We tried hard to completely keep out of their way!
- If you do pay for packers, don’t make the mistake of telling them you will do some of it yourselves. I thought it would be easy for us to pack up all the clothes and take them in the car with us – I couldn’t have been more wrong. 10 suitcases and bin bags later, I was seriously regretting my decision. (Also I am trying to work out how come my 4 year old has at least five times as many clothes as I do!).
- Definitely make sure you have some snacks in for the removers. They work incredibly hard and a chocolate biscuit here and there are most welcome.
- If you have pets, confine them to one room for the duration – or even better pay to put them in kennels. As we were moving over Christmas and it was a bit late in the planning, we had to keep the cats with us. However we put them into one room, put a big note on the door and kept checking on them through the day and all was good.
- Don’t underestimate how much cleaning you will need to do when the house is finally empty. The removers had packed all the cleaning products and the hoover before it occurred to me that I might actually need them after they had left!
- Finally, the biggest tip I have is – don’t forget it will look and get much worse before it gets better!
I’d love to know what tips you have for moving house!
Want To Join Our Tribe?
We'd love to have you in the Tribe with us. We'll send you out all our updates and any exciting news as it happens!